Last updated 11/10/2014
PSYDNYS-NYNJADOT Externship Guidelines for 2015-16
- There will be a six-week period between submission of applications and the first date on which offers may be made to students. The earliest date that students can submit applications is Tuesday, January 20, 2015. The earliest date on which an offer can be made to a student is Monday, March 2 at 9 am. (In future years, the submission date will be the Tuesday immediately after Martin Luther King’s birthday. The notification date will be the first or second Monday in March).
- Offers can be made between 9am and 5 pm. Offers can only be made via email. Phone calls are not acceptable.
- Students can hold an initial offer until 10 am on the morning after the offer is made. (REGARDLESS OF THE TIME OF DAY (9-5) THAT THE OFFER IS MADE). The student must either accept or reject that offer by 10 am the next morning. This is approximately a 24-hour window. What this means is:
- If an offer is made on Monday, the student has until Tuesday at 10:00am to accept or reject the offer;
- If an offer is made on Tuesday, the student has until Wednesday at 10:00 am to accept or reject the offer;
- If an offer is made on Wednesday, the student has until Thursday at 10:00 am to accept or reject the offer;
- If an offer is made on Friday, the student has until Monday at 10:00 am to accept or reject the offer.
- Once a student gets any additional offers, regardless of the time that offer is made, they must drop all offers but one by 7 pm and, have until 10 am the next morning to decide on the remaining offer. A student cannot hold more than one offer past 7pm on any day.
- Example #1: If a student gets offer #1 on Monday at 9:00 AM and offer #2 on Monday at 4:00 PM they must drop one of those offers by 7pm on Monday and make a decision on the other offer by 10am.
- Example #2: If a student gets offer #1 on Monday at 9:00 AM and offer #2 on Tuesday at 11:00 AM, they would have had until Tuesday at 10:00 AM to drop or accept the first offer. If they dropped the first offer, the “24 hr clock” begins on the second offer and they have until 10 on Wednesday to decide.
- An offer made on Friday: The student will have until 10am on Monday to decide.
- Students must confirm receipt of any interview offer by emailing the externship coordinator.
- Students must inform (via email) their DCT of any offer, rejection, acceptance and withdrawal.
- Students should check their SPAM folders to ascertain if any interview or acceptance offer has been directed to SPAM.
- Immediately after accepting an offer, students are required to send emails to ALL sites they applied to indicating that they are withdrawing from consideration. Students must also notify the DCT of their decision as soon as a decision is made.
- Students should ask for letters of recommendation from their faculty or others as early as possible in the semester.
- Students need to include the name, email address and phone number for their DCTs on their CVs.
- Students are not to send "Thank you" notes to their interviewers or to other professionals at the externship site.
- Update current information about site by Dec 1. ECs are encouraged to upload their brochures and other information to the WIKI site. Include number of positions that are offered by the placement and number of hours required (http://psychpracticum.fdu.edu/index.php/Main_Page);
- It is strongly suggested that ECs update their WIKI page at the end of each day. A reminder will be sent at 5pm each day to sites that do not update their WIKI pages. (Updating your pages provides crucial information to students concerning availability. Updating will hopefully mitigate against a second burst of applications.)
- It is recommended that ECs set a specific date when they will stop accepting applications. (The WIKI site will accommodate this data.) Of course you will be able to change the date as is warranted.
- It is recommended that ECs provide information on their WIKI page as to whether attending the externship will constrain, increase, or have no impact on the students’ chances of attending that site’s internship. For example, some sites may accept students for internship who have externed at their site and others do not. Some will accept a student if there is a one-year gap between the externship and internship experiences; some will accept without a gap year. It is recommended that the externship site make their policy transparent.
- ECs should state, on their webpage, whether their site is willing to interview students who are concurrently applying for internship.
- Externship Coordinators need to cc (via email only) DCTs on all interview offers, acceptances and rejections.
- ECs are strongly encouraged to post their time frame for interviewing.
- Starting on Match day: At end of each day, placements will indicate how many positions are still available at the end of each day. Placements will also indicate when they have filled all their positions
- DCTs should affirm their students’ rankings prior to Match day.
- Eligibility letters should state if the student is applying for both externship and internship during the current cycle.
- DCTs will provide Letters of Eligibility that specify the number of hours that students can complete on externship.
- DCTs will oversee their students’ compliance with all the guidelines – and specifically, adherence to the policies concerning acceptance and rejection of offers
- Limiting the number of student applications:
- Students applying for PRE-DOCTORAL INTERNSHIP (through the APPIC Match or otherwise) are NOT eligible to apply for externship unless they attest that they have withdrawn from the Match and are no longer seeking an Internship in the year that they intend to train at an externship.
- DCTs are to place limits on the number of applications that students can initially submit (from Jan 20 until February 10). Students who are applying for a clinical externship for the first time are permitted to apply to no more than ten sites. Students applying for their second clinical externship can apply to no more than eight sites; students applying for their third externship are permitted to apply to no more than six sites
- After Feb 10, DCTs will discuss the usefulness of additional submissions with their students (second wave of applications) and in this regard will consider updated information about Externship sites’ willingness to accept further applications.
WIKI Main Page: HERE
Reports of violations of these guidelines can be lodged HEREThe current list of DCTs for the region is available HERE.
Externship Coordinators (ECs)
Offers can be made between 9am and 5 pm.